February 14, 2011

Andrew

Andrew, age 8
Auckland, New Zealand (1995)

I picked the fabric for this waistcoat myself. And I sure felt fabulous in rainbow houndstooth, as I'm sure any other 8-year old at his father's 40th birthday party would have - right?


I knew I was different from an early age. My dad dreaded picking me up from pre-school, as I'd always be wearing some frilly outfit from the dress up box.

I didn't realize I was gay until much later, around 13 or 14. Mostly because I didn't know it was possible! I grew up in a very sheltered Christian home, and everyone just thought I was special.

Coming out was hard for me. I was 21, and had just met the love of my life, and I knew I couldn't keep him to myself. It was awful for a few months, as my family were shocked beyond belief - nobody else was, of course! As time has passed, my family and I are able to slip into a don't ask, don't tell kind of understanding.

My partner Paul and I have been together for 3 years now. And, I'll soon be the best man at the-other-kid-in-this-photo's wedding, my best friend since birth. Someday, I hope that he can be my best man, too.

As the world gradually becomes more accepting, that just might be possible.

Andrew's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Mario Lopez (in "Saved By The Bell")
Oh, those abs!
__________________________________________________
Saved by the Bell - Seasons 3 & 4 The History Boys Worlds in Collision: The Gay Debate in New Zealand, 1960-1984 Gay Catholics Down Under: The Journeys in Sexuality and Spirituality of Gay Men in Australia and New Zealand

5 comments:

One Woman's Thoughts said...

I hope that your wishes come true.

Randuwa2 said...

We are all amazing because we live in the realm of the possible. Most people are free and content to simple exist and strive--but we are living our lives on the cusp of a global, social, paradigm shift. Own it. It's our gift to humanity.

Lyn said...

I sure as heck it happens for you. Luckily I can dream that someday my daughter can marry a woman she loves - because we are Canadian. What are we waiting for USA??

Unknown said...

Love you so much handsome man!
XXX

Jonetta said...

That kid next to you looks like he may be posting soon also! so coy! You look great!