February 06, 2011

Barbara

Barbara, age 4
W. Nebraska (1955)



Hello and thanks for this great project!

My name is Barbara, and this photo was taken in western Nebraska.

At this point in my life, I was still waiting for Peter Pan to show up and repair the mistaken gender assignment I got at birth. And, turn me back into the boy I truly was.

A few years later my Aunt Lillian, dressed in a spangled cowboy shirt and a very cool hat, swooped me up onto her horse, and I relented on my wish to be a boy.

Girls were cowboys too, but smelled better.




Barabara's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Peggy Fleming (Olympic figure skater)
_________________________________________________
Olympic Charmer Peggy Fleming, February 23, 1968 Photographic Poster Print by Art Rickerby, 11x14 The Long Program: Skating Toward Life's Victories Annie Oakley Peter Pan (Fully Restored 45th Anniversary Limited Edition) (Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection) [VHS]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Brilliant!

Ssejica said...

The words to describe how much I love the child in this photo have escaped me.

Ssejica
http://froufroushit.blogspot.com/

S Kay Murphy said...

Paul, thank you, thank you, thank you!! Here I am at lunch, checking out the blogs of others, and yours is posted as a "blog of note" today. Can't believe how beautiful and angelic these kids are! Hope all the mommies in the world who have gay kids will see them as just that--beautiful and angelic! Even though I had gay friends, I didn't know my own son was gay until he came out to me at age 15. He was afraid I'd be "disappointed." No way--I love him fiercely!!