February 09, 2011

Grace

Grace, age 5
Manila, Philippines (1952)

I'm sitting on the bike, and that's my sister with me. And they really tried to "girl" me up by making us dress alike with fluffy dresses. But I was happiest dressed in jeans, or - as you can see here - in my underwear!

I've always been a little tomboy. There were mostly boys in my family, and besides my sister,
I played with the boys.

I was the oldest child, and when we played war I was the General, when we played cowboys, I was the Sheriff.
I didn't like dolls for presents, and I loved guns, tools, and building toys like erector sets.

My family didn't think anything of how I was. At least I don't think so. They did try to make me more lady-like by sending me to a local finishing school,
to learn to walk properly, and put on makeup, etc.

I actually like this picture now, because it confirms me. 

Grace's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Suzanne Pleshette
__________________________________________________
Suzanne Pleshette [Exhibit Card] Philippine Diary: A Gay Guide to the Philippines Queering Mestizaje: Transculturation and Performance (Triangulations: Lesbian/Gay/Queer Theater/Drama/Performance)