March 09, 2011

Michael

Michael, age 5
Ontario, Canada (1982)

Here I am on the front lawn of my childhood home. Behind me is the Blue Spruce tree my parents had planted years earlier. I have fond memories of playing in our yard, and smelling the sweet summer air. It would only be a few years later when I'd come to understand that I was different from the other boys.

My first crush was on a camp counselor one year at summer camp. I also had a crush on Morten Harket from the band A-ha. The video for "Take On Me" would have me transfixed to the TV screen.

After a fairly happy childhood, I soon experienced cruel high school taunts and violence, because I identified as gay.

Thankfully, I got through it all, and now live an open and successful life.



To those who are struggling today, I would ask that you remember that you are entitled to live your life in an honest and fulfilling way. No one has the right to take that from you. It's your world, too.

Michael's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Morten Harket (singer in A-Ha)
______________________________________________________
Brodsky Tune (Album Version)Lesbian and Gay Rights in Canada: Social Movements and Equality-Seeking, 1971-1995The Tricky Part: A boy's story of sexual trespass, a man's journey to forgivenessAnd It Was Full of Light!: Finding the courage to overcome homophobic bullying and hate

No comments: