July 22, 2011

Darcy

Darcy, age 3
New Philadelphia, OH (1987)

As a kid, I was a little odd. I liked girly things to an extent. I was okay with dresses, but not jewelry. I liked dolls, but I preferred crafty creative endeavors more. I guess it was kind of telling that when playing with Barbie dolls, I always had two Barbies living together, with no Ken around. Ken was just not interesting or necessary to me.

I loved Punky Brewster. She was
one of my early role models/loves. The Spice Girls were a major obsession, too. I had a new favorite member every few weeks.

And Gwen Stefani back in the
No Doubt days was the love of my life. These women plastered my bedroom walls in high school.

I got teased pretty bad in high school.
I was called a slut, a dyke, a freak.

I cut off all my hair in 10th grade, and wore crazy thrift store clothes. That probably didn't help much, but
I liked looking that way.

I always kissed girls but dated guys, and I tried really hard to make those relationships work.

I thought there was something wrong with me, as I was so unhappy. I spent years in therapy and on medication, thinking I was somehow essentially broken and would never find that spark of joy in my life. I drank heavily and used drugs and hated myself.

Finally, now, at age 27, I have the most amazing, beautiful girlfriend I could ever ask for. I finally feel like the missing piece has been found.

There was never anything wrong with me, I was just trying to fit into a place that wasn't meant for me. I don’t know what my future holds, but I finally found happiness. And I know I'm just fine the way I am.

Darcy's first, famous-person same sex crush:
Soleil Moon Frye (as "Punky Brewster")
______________________________________________________
Punky Brewster - Season OneSigned Stefani, Gwen 8x10 PhotoAccepting Ourselves and Others: A Journey into Recovery from Addictive and Compulsive Behaviors for Gays, Lesbians and BisexualsAddiction and Recovery of Gay and Lesbian Persons

Also check out "My First Gay Crush Blog"

2 comments:

Just Two Chicks said...

Aww, I loved Punky Brewster and I liked Blossom too! Remember that one?! :)

Jimmy said...

Very nice! Seems like you had quite the hard time in your early years. But I guess it just made you what you are today. And you met your true love. :) Good luck!

___
Simply Fone