October 19, 2012


Bryant, age 7
Plantation, Florida (1993)

I was one of the lucky ones with my family. From a very early age, my mother knew she had a gay son. She always tells the story of how I used to be obsessed with "The Little Mermaid" and how I REALLY wanted the Ariel Barbie doll.

Although my dad didn't approve, she bought the doll for my birthday.

And I took Ariel with me just about everywhere: to the store, to school for show and tell, and to our family gatherings.

One day we went to the beach and Ariel was right by my side. I wanted to go swimming in the ocean and it's only natural that I wanted to take my mermaid doll for a swim.

Unfortunately, due to a huge wave I lost grip of my beloved doll, and she was taken out to sea.

My dad swam out to try to save her, but it was too late. I was crushed and I cried for days. My mom said she was home under the sea, but I just couldn't get over it.

The next day I woke up to find a new Ariel Barbie and a note from my mother that said, "Look who came home!!!" And all was right in the world again.

Also check out "My First Gay Crush Blog"


michael said...

Love this. Love that the dad swam out to try to rescue the doll. Love this blog.

Daddy Squeeze Me! said...


Maple said...

Very nice post, I follow your blog is always appreciated.
Mom Shopping

Michael said...

"Michael.." everything you said.

April Yee said...

Love this story!

Anonymous said...

Noviembre story... :)